Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Prevent early, go pap smear!

An acquaintance of mine back in MMU died of cervical cancer a few weeks ago. She was 27,married but with no kids. I rarely heard about her right after we graduated, I mean it's not as if we are close or anything during my university days. But she's in my batch so yes, we know each other. I accidentally bumped into one of arwah's close friend during my Raya shopping spree along Jalan TAR.

She informed me that arwah found out about her cancer when she was already in Stage IV, which is supposedly final stage of cancer. I could not imagine what it must be like. She was bleeding at first and she thought that she was miscarriage or something, so she went to the doctor to check. And somehow the miscarriage is not miscarriage after all, it is a stage IV cervical cancer! She went into operation removing her womb, underwent chemotheraphy, but I guess Allah loves her more. During her final days, arwah's friend told me that arwah could not even recalled that she is married and has a husband due to all the drugs that is pumped into her body.
I have no idea what caused her cancer but with cervical cancer, I think it is curable if it is found out early, which means pap smear need to be done regularly if you are a sexually active person! And so the question is:

Have you done your pap smear?

Well, I still have not because I was scared of the pain of having this thing inserted into my vagina!
Haha, I mean I was crying when doctor tried check my opening during my labour and nurses have to hold my legs to keep my legs still for vaginal exam. And you guess how would I react if I do pap smear? But anyway, after hearing about arwah's story I pray I will have the courage to go to a pap smear test very very soon. If you have done your pap smear do share with me here. I mean which is more painful? The pap smear or the checking-how-many-cm-are-you-now vaginal exam? And by the way is the above pic really the speculum that they used for pap smear test? I got the pic from the internet so I am not really sure.

11 superstars:

mimielola said...

Oh dear, no! It's not like how you think it is.

I also thought that it would hurt like how it hurt when the doctor wanted to check my dilation. But no, when I did it, it didn't hurt at all.

ladyell said...

sis,everything will be ok...tk sakit pn...

Ell bt pap smear ni quite every year...tp nurse kata bt 3 thn sekali pn ok...baru2 ni ell bt bln jan.kalau ada apa2,akn diberitahu dlm 3bln..nmpknya skrg dh lebih...tu maknanya ok....

bertindak sblm trlmbat....

Zuhaini said...

aha.. takot la...

aidamunira said...

i just did pap smear last month. apparently tak sakit pun. but the idea of having sth to be inserted into your vagina je yg menakutkan

Mamamarina said...

you.. gladly to inform you that the pap smear is not painful as what u think at all.. same goes to vaginal exam.. all u have to do just relax and that will make ur body x keras n like struggle.. i did my pap smear last few months back and yess i mmg takut bile bace pasal pap smear but once u face it.. ur perception will be changed.. another tips go to doc u r comfortable with..

supermummy said...

mimielola
seriously didn't hurt at all? i still kept thinking of that awful thing that will be inserted! haha

ladyell
wah bagus nya ell! tu la tgh menguatkan semangat utk pegi pap smear..hehe

zuhaini
ni mesti tak buat lagi jugak ni..heheh

aidamunira
so true! the idea tu kot yg mcm menyebabkan imagination runs wild..

mamamarina
that is what my problem is..relax! it is really hard for me to relax everytime during VE and I expect the same goes for pap smear. During VE I remember my legs will go all stiff and it really hurts when the doc did VE. Maybe it's time to find another doctor..any recommendation?

Lan0stZz said...

yeah that is the thing they insert in u tapi mine was plastic version x de laa sejuk terkezut badan. tips for u is to imagine all the good things like your hubby for instant waktu doc buat examination. good luck!

~ mzznana ~ said...

mummy....bukan semua hosp/klinik use yg jenis besi ni...sejuuukkk..hehe...nana ada wat last year..kt Dr.Fauziah...ampang putri..dia guna yg jenis plastik..disposable la.(eh tul ke aq eja ni.haks)...x rasa langsung...cepat lak tu...aleh2 dah siap...maybe u should try kot..coz nana ni pun penah ada pengalaman guna yg besi tu...ngeriii...huhuhu..pe pe pon..betul kata ell...mencegah seblm kena...haks

achee_b165 said...

mAmA pn x WaT lg...huhuhu!!
(Kes seRam gak le nie) isk isk... tp walau cmne pn kena hadapi gak kn?
so cayokk!!heh!

bila nk pegi wat nie?? emmm...

~mamaREDZHA~

Mamamarina said...

kalo nk i recommend pon yg kat azzahrah bangi.. Dr Fazlina.. shes very gentle person.. shes using plastic material one.. good luck ..

precious innocent said...

bila tgk je alat yg u tempek tu, trus i jadi takut... huhu..

-mama emma-

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey